Smokey Prawn Tapas
Recipe: Smokey Prawn Tapas
A quick easy smokey prawn tapas dish to eat with crusty bread, salad or a side of vegetables. Perfect for when you have limited time to cook as it takes roughly 15 minutes to prepare.
I like keep a stash of prawns in the freezer, they defrost so quickly and the process can be speed up by running them under hot water. Tapas dishes heat up really quickly on the stove top so its best to maintain a medium heat, otherwise your tomato mixture will dry out to fast and not develop flavour.
Of course you can use a regular saucepan if you don’t have tapas dishes. Add as much chilli as you like, or substitute parsley for coriander or basil if you prefer.
Smokey Prawn Tapas
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion very finely chopped
Fresh red chilli, chopped
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
200g raw prawns (shells removed. For decoration you can leave a couple with the head and tails on
1 can of chopped tin tomatoes (or 1 and 1/2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes can be substituted
Good splash white wine
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley (or coriander if you prefer)
lime or lemon wedge to garnish
1. Place two tapas bowls on the stove top, add olive oil to both dishes. Share the minced garlic and onion between the two dishes and cook a couple of minutes until softened (If you don’t have tapas dishes a regular saucepan will do).
2. Add the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and chilli cooking for a minute or so, followed by the tomatoes. Now add a good splash of wine and using a fork crush tomato pieces, cooking on a gentle heat so the mixture doesn’t dry out. You can add a small amount of water if this happens.
3. When the tomatoes have a sauce like consistency add the prawns and cook until coloured but still tender. Be careful not to over cook the prawns or they will become rubbery.
5. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve: drizzle the tapas dish with good olive oil and garnish with a lemon or line wedge. Best eaten with fresh crusty bead, garlic bread, salad or a side of vegetables.