Poached Eggs in Sumac Chilli Butter
Recipe: Poached Eggs in Sumac Chilli Butter
Sumac is a zingy lemon flavoured spice used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. Mixed with butter and poured over eggs is a velvety tangy bowl-licking experience.
Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp sumac
Pita bread for serving (or homemade flatbreads, recipe at bottom of this page)
- For the poached eggs: Using a large saucepan, fill with water and add salt. Bring to the boil then lower the heat until the water is barely moving. Crack eggs individually into 2 ramekins or small bowls, then lower as close to the waters surface as you can and quickly drop eggs in. Poach for 2 – 3 minutes or until whites are firm. The inside should still be runny.
- Combine butter, garlic, chilli flakes and sumac in a saucepan, gently heat until butter has melted and becomes clear (there should be no creamy texture. The sumac will separate and look like dark flakes.)
- Drizzle sumac butter over eggs and serve with pita bread or homemade flatbreads (recipe below).
Flat breads (makes 4)
Small drizzle olive oil
- For the flatbreads: Place flour in a bowl and add the salt and olive oil. Add small amounts of water to the flour, mixing in to form a dough. Do this slowly until it’s nice and firm. If you add too much water and it becomes wet just add more flour to bring it back.
- Divide mixture into 4 and roll into balls. Add some flour to a work surface and using a rolling pin, roll balls out as thin as you can in a round shape, it’s ok if they are not perfect circles.
- Add flatbreads to a hot frying pan and cook each side for 1 – 2 minutes.