Spiced Feta Stuffed Aubergines
Recipe: Spiced Feta Stuffed Aubergine
Aubergines taste their best when roasted to perfection as the flesh becomes soft and luscious. The addition of red split lentils makes this a filling dish for lunch or dinner, the spices and feta adding all the much needed flavour.
Spiced Feta Stuffed Aubergine
2 aubergines, halved lengthwise
1/4 cup split red lentils
Vegetable stock for cooking lentils
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tsp dried mint
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp harissa paste
1 green chilli, minced
1 tsp lemon rind and a squeeze of juice
Salt and Pepper
100gm feta, crumbled
Leaves for Garnish – Either celery leaves, parsley or coriander
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, 160 fan forced).
- Drizzle aubergine halves in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast on a tray for 30 – 40 minutes (until the have collapsed a little and inside flesh is soft).
- Meanwhile bring a small saucepan of vegetable stock to the boil, add red split lentils, return to boil then cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain lentils but do not wash as this will remove the flavour of the stock.
- Remove aubergines from the oven and carefully scoop out inside flesh and mash a little. Keep aubergine shells on the roasting tray.
- In a bowl combine aubergine flesh, lentils, cumin, ginger, chilli, lemon rind and juice, mint, harissa and season with salt and pepper. Once combined gently stir through the crumbled feta.
- Gently place the mixture back inside each aubergine shell (without pressing down too much) and return to the oven for 10 – 15 minutes. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with celery, coriander or parsley leaves.